Senior Structures Manufacturing Engineer
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is currently deep in laying the manufacturing groundwork and process development for Terran R, our next generation, re-useable rocket. This team has a wide variety of responsibilities—from determining the most efficient factory floor layout, to developing and implementing complex tooling and processes. The core of this team is interfacing with the vehicle engineering team to heavily influence the design of the rocket. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology.
Overall, this team is critical to the development and initial builds of Terran R. This team pulls together the efforts of design, additive, vehicle, and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. To meet our goals, we will drive the product from design concept through the build to structural acceptance test, ensuring the team can move fast while still producing high quality, well understood products.
What you’ll do:
The Vehicle Mechanical Assembly team is responsible for working alongside the vehicle design and additive teams to develop Terran R primary structures, while also leading the charge on mechanical assembly. We are looking for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer to own the following scope: primary and secondary structure design for manufacturing, build flow planning, large-scale part logistics, tooling design, conceptualizing & sourcing, fast-paced issue dispositions, trim/drill operations, joining/welding operations, and mechanical assembly planning and execution to name a few.
- Own a major primary structure assembly or workcenter for Terran R, starting with conceptual design-for-manufacturing support and following the entire development process through to tooling design and procurement, process development, prototype builds, and initial production.
- Support conceptual and detailed design of major tooling assemblies alongside tooling engineering. Support procurement, commissioning, and initial trial builds, ensuring tooling is delivered on time and with the right capabilities.
- Support the shop floor through live issue resolution and provide upstream feedback as we innovate the next generation of manufacturing technology.
- Monitor large scale part movements and ensure safety as well as clear and concise direction.
- Provide Design for Manufacturing feedback to both the additive and structures teams from early phase design through iterations and production, developing strong working partnerships.
- Facilitate and perform the design and creation of primary assembly tooling that ensures exacting requirements are met across the vehicle.
- Generate the build order, schedule, and come up with creative ways to stay on track.
- Generate work instructions, specifications, and best practices across multiple high-fidelity processes. Standardize processes across the manufacturing team. Participate in technician training initiatives in tandem with standardized processes.
- Assist with building and developing the manufacturing team, via participation on interview panels and mentorship opportunities for interns and less experienced team members.
What you need to know:
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering degree and have 5+ years of related experience, ideally in an aerospace or automotive manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated experience working cross-functionally to build large scope first-article assemblies, resolve complex manufacturing issues, and meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset toward simple design solutions, quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. You’re a hands-on engineer but also a self-starter who can balance and prioritize daily tasks that contribute to short- and long-term company goals.
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience hands-on building hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions to build structural assemblies.
- Experience with design for manufacture and building a first article assembly, specifically DFM/DFA on primary and secondary structures assemblies.
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Extensive experience managing large scope of ownership with tight schedules.
- Experience designing tooling or owning tooling development as a manufacturing representative, particularly for mechanical fastening assemblies and trim/drill operations.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience working large launch vehicle or aeronautical assemblies in a production setting.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success to production rate.
- Experience developing user interfaces for manufacturing execution.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace