Weld Technician I (3rd Shift)
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
Relativity seeks a Robotics Weld Technician to join a rapidly growing space startup. You will be aiding our Additive team by operating our large-scale WAAM (Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing) printers to help build our Terran R vehicle. You will be responsible for ensuring our prints are built following standard operating procedures and proper safety measures. This position will be working 3rd shift hours (10 PM – 6:30 AM) with occasional, scheduled overtime which will include weekends.
What you’ll do:
To be successful in this role, you will come from an environment where you have demonstrated both hands on and theoretical understanding of the arc welding process to produce high quality welds. Ideally, this candidate will also have experience operating mechanized or robotic welding equipment. This role is extremely collaborative— the candidate will be working with all teams from design, production, materials, NDT, and operations. Verbal and written communication skills are key.
What you need to know:
- 1+ years of welding industry experience and/or completed a weld certification program
- Experience with GMAW and/or GTAW
- Visually inspect own work to verify weld quality and diagnose weld defects
- Ability to prep and clean parts as required and setup welding equipment in preparation for welding
- Knowledge of other metal fabrication processes-grinding, cutting, machining
- General computer skills to be able to follow work instructions and to input data into our manufacturing systems/Microsoft Excel
- Ability to work safely and uphold safety standards
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment, communicate clearly, and have a strong work ethic
- Be able to maintain and clean and organized work area
- Must be able to lift/push/drag 50 lbs of weight
- Must be able to hold a power tool for at least 1 hr at a time
- Capable of spending a full shift monitoring multiple prints, staying alert and active the entire time
- Must be comfortable with wearing a power air purifying respirator. Need to pass medical evaluation by nurse
- Need to be able to work from heights above 20 feet for extended durations (1+ hrs)
- Technician should be comfortable entering a print cell during the printing process wearing full welding PPE
- Need to be comfortable inside confined spaces for at least 1 hr for confined space operations
Nice to haves but not required:
- Arc welding experience with aluminum
- Experience with Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing
- Experience with robotics
- Familiar working with x-ray technicians and other NDT personnel
- Passionate about additive manufacturing technology
- Previous leadership experience (not isolated to welding/manufacturing)
- AWS D1.1 Structural welding certification
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace