Integration Engineer II, Additive Assets
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Additive Asset team builds, upgrades, and maintains Relativity’s fleet of Stargate cells, the world's largest metal 3D printers. Utilizing both traditional and additive manufacturing methods, we produce tiny subcomponents, large steel weldments, and electrical, fluid, mechanic, robotic, and software systems that make up a print cell. We integrate these systems together and upgrade the cells over their lifetime, incorporating continuous improvements developed by our technology development teams. We’re a multidisciplinary team of collaborative, world-class technicians and engineers with deep and broad knowledge of our technology and its applications, working closely with each other and other teams to run the most advanced additive manufacturing fleet in the world.
What you’ll do:
Your first responsibility will be the buildout, commissioning, and qualification of our new fleet of 4th-generation Stargate additive manufacturing cells that will be used to 3D print large components of our 20-ft diameter reusable rocket, Terran R. For that, you will:
- Learn and understand the detailed function of the entire integrated system and its subcomponents, working closely will all of the designers
- Turn engineering designs into robust work instructions and build sequences and maintain standard operating procedures
- Serve as a liaison between our in-house technicians, engineers, facilities and infrastructure teams, and external contractors and vendors
- Track parallel builds in detail and proactively identify and resolve issues as they emerge
- Lead by example and personally demonstrate challenging assembly or integration tasks
- Collaborate with our additive powder bed fusion team, CNC machining team, and external vendors to fabricate precisions components for subassemblies of the printing system
When the fleet is built (1+ year), you’ll switch focus to continuous improvement, upgrades, and fleet health. You will
- Work with our operations and development teams to gatekeep and plan upgrades to the fleet
- Develop and test mixed upgrades to development cells ranging from procedural and consumable changes to wholesale architectural revisions
- Coordinate and implement major upgrades to production assets
- Influence planning and implementation of subsequent generations of the Stargate manufacturing system
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or a similar degree
- Strong collaborative ability
- demonstrated experience working with diverse teams to reach goals on complex projects
- Strength in both giving and receiving feedback. You have a history of both changing your mind based on input from your peers and helping your peers reach your point of view
- Passion for getting things done. Your track record exhibits a dedication to measurable results
- Minimum 2 years’ experience building large, complex things. Experience scaling from an initial build to a low-volume production run. Examples might include (but are not limited to)
- Custom heavy equipment (eg mining or oil & gas)
- Processing plants
- Factories, assembly lines, or production equipment or facilities
- Technical knowledge, skills, familiarity:
- Basic knowledge across industrial metal fabrication processes
- Familiarity with integration and assembly of electro-mechanical systems
- Working knowledge of at least one CAD tool such as NX, Solidworks, Catia
- Proficiency in at least one programming language
- Excellent organization and an ability to track and support multiple parallel projects or products
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply diverse technical concepts and information
- Working knowledge of industrial safety best practices and standards (lift plans, Lock-out/tag-out (LOTO))
Nice to haves but not required:
- Technical / hardware background and familiarity
- Cable routing
- Metal additive manufacturing processes such as WAAM, PBF, or LP-DED
- Working knowledge of aerospace production tools, processes, and standards
- Manufacturing execution systems (MES), work instruction and build plan writing
- Quality management systems (QMS)
- Manufacturing, material, enterprise resource planning (MRP / ERP)
- Part and product qualification standards. Installation, Operational, and Production qualification (IQ/OQ/PQ). AS9100 or ISO9001 familiarity
- Lean manufacturing principles
- Experience installing or commissioning industrial robotic systems. Also desirable would be deeper familiarity with these systems including experience with:
- Structured Text PLC programming or similar industrial automation software
- Industrial automation/hardware products such as Beckhoff, Kuka, Siemens
- Experience writing and updating programs for industrial robots including ABB, Fanuc, Kuka
- Knowledge of and experience with writing hardware-interfacing software in Python, C, C++
- A history of new product introduction of hardware into manufacturing, test, and production with proven success
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace