Senior Quality Engineer, Engine Integration & Test
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Quality team supports all areas of production of Relativity’s hardware and defines the processes to do so. We work closely with engineering, manufacturing, supply chain, test and launch counterparts to ensure the quality of our products. We help lay the foundation for all processes within the product lifecycle – design, buy, build, test and launch. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing Quality organization and help lead the front on producing the industry’s highest quality 3D-printed parts.
This Quality Engineer role will be responsible for assuring build reliability of Relativity Engines — from defining and optimizing the processes in which we support Engine Integration/Test to problem solving hardware nonconformances and devising actions to address root cause. You will have the opportunity to set the tone for maturing our quality practices within engine assembly.
NOTE: This role may require travel up to 30% and is expected to be on-site at our Long Beach, CA headquarters when not traveling.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for supporting Aeon R engine fabrication from assembly through testing at our test site in Stennis, Mississippi
- Ownership may include the following:
- Design: drawing standardization, DFM, and configuration management and control
- Planning: work instruction review, process development, standard rework/repair documentation
- Assembly: in-process build verification, coordinate of travelled work, etc.
- Program: issue ticket processes, as-built verification, root cause/corrective action, etc.
- Drive initiatives to facilitate quality in our growing launch vehicle program. Some projects may include spearheading specification development, developing walk down checklists, supporting automation initiatives for quality inspection, assisting in DFM practices, etc.
- Develop strong working relationships with Engineering, Additive, Manufacturing, Test, and Launch teams to ensure all company objectives can be met
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or other STEM field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience acting as a Quality Engineer at a fast-paced manufacturing company
- Extensive experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, production and test personnel
- In-depth knowledge of aerospace manufacturing/complex assembly practices and typical quality processes/controls
- Working knowledge of typical PLM, MES, ERP and QMS software
- Proficiency with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Ability to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways and evaluate alternative solutions that may require coordination across multiple teams. Ability to establish goals and objectives to complete projects
- Ability to effectively communicate and present information to team members, team leaders, and top management
- Well-versed in process development and first-time quality efforts
Nice to haves but not required:
- Working knowledge of product development methodologies such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Statistical Process Control (SPC) and Production Process Verification (PPV)
- New product introduction (NPI) of hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success
- Familiarity with high-volume inspection methods and data-driven acceptance methods
- Understanding of AS9100/ISO9001 applications and practices for an aerospace program
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace