Master Weld Technician
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
Relativity seeks a highly talented Additive Welding Technician to join a rapidly growing space startup. You will be aiding our Additive team by operating our large-scale printers and further developing the technology. As the Additive Weld Technician, you will have a direct effect on how our rockets are built—on a day to day, you will help develop new additive manufacturing procedures on a variety of flight components, assist in optimizing and automating our processes, and come up with new and innovative ways to join materials.
This position will be working second shift hours (approx. 2PM – 10:30PM) with occasional, scheduled overtime.
What you’ll do:
In order to be successful in this role, you will come from an environment where they have demonstrated both hands on and theoretical understanding of the arc welding process to produce high quality welds. Ideally, this candidate will also have experience operating mechanized or robotic welding equipment. This role is extremely collaborative— the candidate will be working with all teams from design, production, materials, NDT, and operations. Verbal and written communication skills are key.
What you need to know:
- 5+ years of welding industry experience
- Passionate about additive manufacturing technology
- Experience with GMAW
- Arc welding experience with aluminum
- Diagnose weld defects and suggest corrective actions, both in repair and process optimization
- Can make recommendations on general part design based on limitations of the process
- Understand weldment blueprints and symbols
- Collaborate with other technicians and engineers to develop welding parameters that meet part requirements
- Fit, form parts, and clean parts as required and setup welding equipment in preparation for welding
- Finish parts with various hand tools
- Visually inspect own work to verify weld quality
- Excellent trouble shooting and problem solving skills, including suggesting appropriate modifications to welding equipment to improve the process
- Knowledge of other metal fabrication processes-grinding, cutting, machining
- Be able to maintain and clean and organized work area
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with arc additive processes
- Experience with additive manufacturing software packages
- Familiar working with x-ray technicians and other NDT personnel
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace