Senior Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is currently deep in manufacturing trades and process development for Terran R, our next generation, fully re-useable rocket. This team has a wide variety of responsibilities—from determining the most efficient factory floor layout, to developing and implementing complex tooling and processes, and even interfacing with the vehicle engineering team to heavily influence the design of the rocket. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology.
The Propulsion Manufacturing team is responsible for manufacturing and testing engine subassemblies and integrating our Aeon-R engines.
What you’ll do:
We are looking for a talented Senior Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer who will contribute to the development of Aeon-R hardware and manufacturing processes for the Terran-R vehicle. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
As a Senior Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer, you will own and develop the processes for fabricating, testing, and delivering critical Aeon-R hardware and subassemblies. With a focus toward manufacturability and integration, you will serve as the main point-of-contact between the manufacturing and design teams as we develop and optimize Aeon-R hardware, ensuring as-built hardware meets all aspects of the intended design.
You will project manage a wide variety of hardware in varying states of their manufacturing lifecycle. You will develop processes and procedures for post-processing of 3D printed parts and recommend design adaptations to improve reliability and throughput. You have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to 3D printed and machined components.
What you need to know:
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Strong communication skills, and ability to write detailed work instructions and process plans
- Strong hands-on acumen with hardware
- Ability to effectively investigate, resolve and screen hardware non-conformances
- Ability to drive failure investigation efforts, root cause analysis and implementation of corrective action(s)
- Ability to work with and train technicians
- Knowledge of general assembly and test procedures, including tolerance stack-up analysis, structural proof testing and pressurized leak checks
- Experience with GD&T and industry specifications
- Experience with CAD and analysis tools including tool design
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a propulsion development program
- Ability to thrive in the presence of ambiguity and be able to make informed decisions to continually drive forward progress
- Familiarity with a fast-paced, high-mix manufacturing environment, working hands-on with hardware
- Experience in Additive Manufacturing, Subtractive Manufacturing, Machining, and associate precision inspection techniques
- Experience working with and managing vendors and external suppliers to get parts made quickly and reliably
- Experience building strong teams and leading projects, directly and cross-functionally
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace