Staff Hardware Systems Engineer
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Integrated Performance department is responsible for ensuring that Relativity’s rockets will achieve our objectives. Our department comprises teams responsible for Flight Sciences, including Aerodynamics, Thermal Science, Loads, and Dynamics; Vehicle Simulation & Performance; Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC); and Systems Engineering. Our teams architect and execute analysis, simulation, and test projects for all of Relativity’s hardware and software teams in pursuit of mission success.
What you’ll do:
As a Systems Engineer, you will collaborate with team members across the organization while contributing to the development of Relativity’s engineering processes and tools to enable the design, development, certification, and flight of the Terran R launch system.
Projects and responsibilities include the following:
- Develop the Systems Engineering tools and methodology roadmap, helping align the needs of various groups and the overall project
- Provide subject matter expertise to the Systems Engineering group
- Own the requirements management system and help responsible engineers decompose requirements to a meaningful level while keeping them as lean as possible
- Own the verification and validation management system ensuring not only the requirements are met but that the vehicle fulfills its intended purpose
- Provide certification support as needed to: accelerate tailoring efforts for SSCMAN 91-710 Volume 3, complete the Missile Systems Prelaunch Safety Package (MSPSP), perform hazard analyses, provide cross functional support for 14 CRF Part 450 / RCC319 / RCC324
- Own the vehicle design process from beginning to end, ranging from leading design reviews to reviewing test plans.
- Oversee engineering documentation including requirements, interface control documents, verification plans, test plans, and data reviews.
- Provide support and information in variety of technical meetings including design reviews, test readiness reviews, change boards, and risk boards.
- Build, modify, or eliminate engineering processes to support an efficient, product-focused culture.
- Conduct trade studies across vehicle systems to ensure vehicle performance and reliability are achieved.
- Provide engineering expertise to solve technical problems at all levels.
To be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, adaptable, and able to contribute significantly to a fast-paced integrated vehicle program. You should also be able to resolve ambiguity and drive projects to completion. Ideally, you have Systems Engineering, Verification and Validation (V&V), and Requirement Management experience, launch vehicle certification experience, as well as a proven track record completing projects successfully in a highly collaborative environment.
On a weekly basis, you will be supporting design teams, developing tools, and performing analysis. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly manage the documentation and communication of your actions, recommendations, and decisions.
What you need to know:
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field and 10+ years relevant experience
- Experience performing cross-functional engineering and integration for complex systems
- Experience solving difficult problems with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Proven track record of contributing to project completion
- Expertise in modern systems engineering practices and tools
- Demonstrable written and oral communication skills
Nice to haves but not required:
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 10+ years of experience
- Hands-on experience in the design, integration, test, and operation of complex systems
- History of taking complex products from concept to production
- Strong desire to learn new subjects to solve difficult and often ambiguous challenges
- Experience using Jira
- Experience using Confluence
- Experience with UML or SysML
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace