Senior Additive Development Engineer
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Additive Development team at Relativity Space will develop, create, and operate the most advanced additive manufacturing technologies in the world. This best-in-class team makes sure that the infrastructure, materials, tools, and equipment are in place for us to rapidly iterate and print. The Additive Powder Bed Fusion team is crucial to developing and demonstrating groundbreaking technologies, design, and approaches for Aeon-R!
What you’ll do:
- Develop additive manufacturing processes to continuously improve manufacturing cost, quality, and lead time.
- Produce additively manufactured components that rapidly enable high performance liquid propulsion hardware.
- Holistically own and optimize the total manufacturing process including, design for additive, build file programing, manufacturing work instructions, and quality verification.
- Develop, optimize, and productionize process parameters for various alloys and machine systems and develop tools and techniques to accelerate and automate that process.
- Execute material failure investigations, conduct root cause analyses, and implement corrective actions.
- Develop new tools, techniques, and applications that automate existing processes and standardize on performance-based benchmarks.
- Support material and process team with characterization and qualification of various alloys.
What you need to know:
- Demonstrated ability to define and implement new engineering processes
- Effectively communicate technical information within a diverse team
- Proficient in at least one CAD program, design for additive manufacturing, and GD&T
- Expert knowledge of laser powder bed fusion, printer primary subsystems, and post-processes
- 2+ years of experience working in aerospace, medical devices, or ISO environments
- 2+ years of experience in mechanical or materials engineering related roles
- 5+ years of experience working on metallic additive manufacturing
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems (MES) and quality management systems
Nice to haves but not required:
- Advanced degree (MS) in Material Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, or another related field
- Familiarity with processing large datasets and statistical data analysis software such as R, JMP, or Minitab
- Familiarity with design and operation of liquid propellent engine systems
- Serve as materials subject matter expert on powder bed fusion team
- Proficient at oriented programming (Python, JS, C#, or Java)
- Experience in leveraging API’s and real-time data sources to build applications in a production environment
- Developing APIs and building applications on them in a production environment
- Six Sigma/Lean manufacturing training
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace