Chief Data Architect - Data Model, Data Pipeline, Ingestion, Harmonization
TetraScience is the Scientific Data Cloud company with a mission to accelerate scientific discovery and improve and extend human life. The Scientific Data Cloud is the only open, cloud-native platform purpose-built for science that connects lab instruments, informatics software, and data apps across the biopharma value chain and delivers the foundation of harmonized, actionable scientific data necessary to transform raw data into accelerated and improved scientific outcomes. Through the Tetra Partner Network, market-leading vendors access the power of our cloud to help customers maximize the value of their data.
Our core values are designed to guide our behaviors, actions, and decisions such that we operate as one. We are looking to add high performance team members that authentically and unconditionally embrace the our values:
- Transparency and Context - We trust our people will make the right decisions and overcome any challenges when given data and context.
- Trust and Collaboration - We believe there can only be trust when there is transparency. We are committed to always communicating openly and honestly.
- Fearlessness and Resilience - We proactively run toward challenges of all types. We embrace uncertainty and we take calculated risks.
- Alignment with Customers - We are completely committed to ensuring our customers and partners achieve their missions and treat them with respect and humility.
- Commitment to Craft - We are passionate missionaries. We sweat the details, as the small things enable the big things.
- Equality of Opportunity - We seek out the best of the best regardless of gender, ethnicity, race, or age; We seek out those who embody our common values but bring unique and invaluable perspectives, talents and advantages.
Who You Are
You love to collaborate with fellow engineers, managers, designers, user researchers, executives, and customers, and inspire them to do their best. You relentlessly strive to excel in your craft and take pride in your craft. You are passionate about continuously improving what we deliver and how we deliver our products to customers. You take ownership of all the aspects of software design and architecture deliverables you are working on. You consistently seek understanding and clarity. You look at every interaction as an opportunity to educate, inspire, and learn. You aren’t afraid to ask questions. You have the humility and confidence to not be the smartest person in the room.
In this critical leadership role you will own the data architecture for the TetraScience Scientific Data Cloud, devising both the short and long term architectural strategies to achieve the vision of harmonized data, bridging the gap between heterogeneous instrument and software vendors and repeatable scientific data usage in integration, analytics, and AI / ML.
You will work closely with product leadership and the executive staff to ensure that the overall architecture plan and execution are in concert with the product strategy. This role will lead by example with a small team of architects to form and prototype architecture decisions and partner with engineering teams to implement. You will have come from a strong technical background and be able to demonstrate in code, and drive the technical direction of the data product and architecture around the use cases that we are solving for.
You are the steward of the world’s most consequential and valuable data - the very scientific data that is necessary to solve humanity’s grand challenges.
What You Will Do
- Own, define, communicate, and drive our technical vision, architectural strategy for TetraScience Scientific Data Cloud.
- Devise the strategy to support very diverse data domains and evolve the product to support high scale and downstream, analytics, and AI/ML use cases especially on harmonizing data from heterogenous instruments and software to accelerate data exploration and analysis.
- Support and advise executive leadership regarding technical and architectural feasibility, implications, readiness, and data integrity.
- Provide key inputs into technology evaluation and technology planning activities.
- Drive innovations with tangible examples to improve the consistency, usability, ease of maintenance of our data architecture, and minimize impact to our data customers.
- Communicate the architecture to the engineering and product teams, customers, and stakeholders.
- Mentor and train other team members of the Tetra Data team on design techniques, data modeling, data query and processing technologies, systems architecture and coding standards.
- Stay on the cutting edge of emerging technology, forging key relationships with peers.
- Provide thought leadership and represent TetraScience at industry and technology conferences.
- 15+ years’ experience designing and building highly scalable, mission-critical distributed software systems, focused on analytical data processing.
- Deep understanding of Data Architecture, Data Modeling, Schema design, Data Integration.
- Understanding of modeling strategies (dimensional, snowflake, relational, unstructured).
- Significant experience with ETL / data orchestration, data integration, data lakes, data warehouses, and data science/machine learning tooling.
- Demonstrated ability to drive architectural vision for a company or highly scalable line of products.
- Proven track-record of success evolving and informing product strategy within a start-up environment through prototypes and working code.
- Hands on experience in building data warehouses, platform architecture, and/or production-grade machine learning technologies.
- Proficient in SQL, Python, and web scale technologies.
- Demonstrable curiosity and drive to learn, with the ability to translate these qualities into tangible results.
- Excellent problem solving, collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability and desire for transparent communication and influence at the executive level.
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and bring ideas to the table.
- Experience in Life Sciences domain a big plus but not necessary.
- 100% employer paid benefits for all eligible employees and immediate family members.
- Unlimited paid time off (PTO).
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Company paid Life Insurance, LTD/STD.
No visa sponsorship is available for this position