Lead DevOps Engineer (PST hours)
About the position
Our engineering team values versatility, collaboration, solving tough puzzles, and supporting each other as we all learn in a dynamic market environment serving tens of thousands of customers today.
As a Lead DevOps engineer, you will help lead a high performing team of SREs. Today, we have a world class system with automated builds and deployments on a fully-redundant AWS EKS infrastructure. From here, we’re looking to move to a best in class developer self-service platform.
Note: The expectation for this role is you will be located in the Mountain or Pacific time zone and will work PST hours.
What you'll do:
- Help establish project prioritization and architecture.
- Manage the team backlog and ensure projects are executing on time.
- Help resolve technical issues and provide architectural guidance.
- Manage our AWS Infrastructure, including EC2, Route 53, S3, CloudWatch, CloudFront, Redshift, RDS, ElastiCache, Data Pipelines, Kinesis, ElasticSearch, and many more.
- Architect, design, and deliver the next generation cloud architecture for Mighty Networks, including containerization and auto-scaling.
- Anticipate and build solutions for problems that interrupt availability, performance, and stability in our systems, services, and products at scale.
- Build and maintain our new CI/CD pipeline for our web and mobile frameworks.
- Design and develop reusable components and operational strategies in the cloud to support scalability, high availability, performance, monitoring, and observability.
- Manage the establishment and configuration of infrastructure in an agile way by storing infrastructure as code and employing automated configuration management tools with a goal to be able to re-provision any of our environments at any point in time.
- Document and maintain installation, provisioning, security, and configuration procedures.
- Keep existing systems up-to-date with the latest security patches and features.
- Drive operational cost reductions through service optimizations and AWS commitment-pricing and demand-based auto scaling.
- Evaluate existing processes and tools and implement changes for better efficiency.
- Collaborate with the development teams in building out infrastructure and troubleshooting production issues.
- Lead and participate in on-call rotations.
Who you are:
- Ideally, you are a full stack developer who has been drawn to DevOps as your area of interest and curiosity.
- You have 4+ years of relevant industry experience.
- You hold a BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or have equivalent practical experience.
- You have a solid understanding of fundamental technologies like DNS, load balancing, SSL, TCP/IP, networking, security best practices, performance, high availability, disaster recovery, and business continuity.
- You have experience with automation and infrastructure as code tools, such as Ansible, Terraform, or Chef.
- You have experience with a scripting language such as Bash, Python, Ruby.
- You have experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL and are comfortable working with Elasticsearch clusters.
- You have some experience with monitoring, analysis, and alerting tools like New Relic and Datadog.
- You have Linux/unix admin experience.
- You have strong knowledge of industry best practices pertaining to privacy and security.
- You have high intensity, deep curiosity, keen attention to detail, and are a great fit with our passionate team.
- Ideally, you have direct experience with AWS and the different products offered.
- Ideally, you have experience delivering Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD) using tools like Jenkins, CircleCI or TravisCI.
- You bring to Mighty Networks existing experience with containerization, Docker, and Kubernetes.